Community Resilience


 For Echt and Skene Community Council Area

This is available from the Community Council as a leaflet to keep at home in case of need.

 What is Community Resilience?

In addition to the Emergency Services, Echt and Skene Community Council (ESCC) has arranged that each village hall is equipped to provide short-term shelter, basic equipment and local co-ordination in case of need.

This need could arise through power cuts, traffic accidents, floods or other adverse natural events. Travel could be disrupted so local help may be needed.

In an emergency, call the Emergency Services using 999.
When you need help but it is not an emergency call the police non-emergency line on 101.

The Emergency Services will respond as normal. If there is a need to provide shelter then they will contact the Aberdeenshire Council Duty Emergency Planning Officer who can arrange to open Aberdeenshire Council facilities to assist.

As a quick start, and if the problem is restricted in its impact (for example- a bus had an accident in our community area and the passengers needed to get out of the weather somewhere dry and warm until they could be taken home or helped to continue their journey) the Officer can ask the community volunteers to open the village hall as a community resilience centre and the police would direct people there.

All 5 village halls are equipped with a Community Response cabinet. The volunteer will open it to access emergency torches, blow up beds, space blankets etc. and hot drinks and food could be made.**

The Community Response in your village hall is a temporary refuge in the early stages of a problem.

Please note that the Emergency Services will carry out rescues. Community Response will generally work in the village hall and yard: coordinating resources, filling sandbags etc. where it is safe to do so.

If an individual dwelling has experienced a problem, maybe a fallen tree, which has made it uninhabitable the residents can call the Emergency Services as usual or can contact a Community Councillor and ask to use their local hall for shelter. If the phones are down, knock on the local Councillor’s door.

**We will not be stocking food; we will ask local residents to raid their larders.

If there is a widespread and longer lasting problem (think of the floods in the winter of 2016 as an example), the council will open rest centres. This takes longer to arrange.

Useful phone numbers

Emergency services            999
Police- non- emergency     101
NHS24 (Scotland)                111

Aberdeenshire Council Flood line (e.g. sandbags)
8am – 6pm: 03456 081205
and from 6pm – 8am Police Scotland on 101

SEPA’s Floodline  0345 988 1188
National gas emergency service (contact re gas leak) 0800 111 999
Scottish Water     08000 778 778

Scottish and Southern Energy (SSE) Emergency Contact- re power cut or dangerous situation Power Track ( ( and put in your postcode for fault status.
Call 105 to report loss of mains power at your house

Aberdeenshire Council out of hours emergency service Social Work(5 p.m. to 9 a.m.)        03456 08 12 06

Aberdeenshire Council out of hours emergency service Environmental Health (5 p.m. to 9 a.m.)               03456 08 12 07

Local radio for information in case of failure of phone system:

Northsound 1: 96.9 FM

Northsound 2: 1035 kHz

BBC Radio Scotland: 92-95 FM 810 MW

If you have any questions or need to contact a Community Councillor here are the details.

Councillor Rep for Contact
Fiona Bick Kirkton of Skene 01330 860828
Chris Minchin Dunecht 07584 256737
Nick Pilbeam Lyne of Skene 01330 860220
Ian MacMaster Garlogie 01224 743452
George Glennie Echt 01330 850597

Village hall locations:
Kirkton of Skene AB32 6XE middle of village.
Lyne of Skene AB32 7EP on B977 at X-road.
Dunecht AB32 7AW on A944 by estate office.
Garlogie AB32 6RX  West end of village down slip road.
Echt AB32 7AA behind Echt Tandoori.

To contact the Community Council (on any topic) please email: