Minute of Meeting 1st August 2019 Milne Hall, Kirkton of Skene

Present: Fiona Bick (chair), Steve Gibson, Grant Duguid, Klaus Wahle, George Glennie

Apologies: Ian MacMaster, Nick Pilbeam, Niall MacBeath, Cllr Iris Walker, Cllr Ron McKail, Cllr David Aitchison
Minute of last meeting: Approved.
Police Report: A police report was received and is  attached Police Report Aug 19. No police officer attended. It was noted that behaviour at the Echt Show was better this year than last, but the event was still not entirely trouble-free.
Co-Option of Klaus Wahle to ESCC: A notice was issued on 14th July to all Community Council members of the proposed co-option of Klaus Wahle to the ESCC. The proposal was agreed unanimously by the members present.
ESCC Treasurer: With the resignation of Brian Poppleton from the ESCC the members need to appoint a new Treasurer, but none of the current ESCC members is willing to take on the role at the moment. However, Brian has offered to continue in post as an independent Treasurer until the next AGM. It was unanimously agreed to appoint Brian Poppleton as an independent Treasurer.
Community Resilience Checks: Item deferred until next meeting attended by Nick Pilbeam.
Other Agenda items:
Skene School Crossing Safety: No progress since last meeting on speed survey or road markings/signage.
Forbes Park Landscaping: Item retained on agenda pending autumn planting of new trees.

Kirkton of Skene Playgroup donation: Fiona advised that the playgroup is a registered charity with OSCR. It was therefore agreed to give a donation of £150 from ESCC funds.

New Planning Applications:
• APP/2019/0929 Internal Alterations, installation of rooflights, extract vents and boiler flue – Tower Lodges South, Dunecht AB32 6YJ. No comment.
• APP/2019/1747 Erection of Dwellinghouse – Site at Broomhill Farm, Lyne of Skene. The members noted that it appeared the application was unlikely to comply with planning policy. No comment.

Prior Planning Applications:
• APP/2018/2681 Change of Use of Agricultural Buildings to Livery Stable and Formation of Manege (retrospective) – Millbuie, Skene AB32 6YP GRANTED
• APP/2018/2226 Change of use from Class 6 (Storage) to Class 5 (General Industrial) – South Fornet, Dunecht, Westhill AB32 7BX GRANTED
• APP/2019/0083 Use of Land for Class 5 (General Industrial) and erection of fence – South Fornet, Dunecht AB32 7BX GRANTED

Treasurer’s Report:
Cash in bank £1053.45
Cash in Hand £52.06

£30 has been spent on Scotways subscription and hall rental since the last meeting. Also, £750 was received from the Council for the Lyne of Skene defibrillator and passed on to the project committee.

Correspondence/Upcoming Events:
• NESTRANS Online Consultation (www.nestrans2040.org.uk) -Members advised to make their own submissions.
• David Kerschbaum dissertation research request – Fiona offered to respond
• SSEN Transmission draft Business Plan consultation (12th August Doubletree Hilton, Aberdeen) – Fiona has registered to attend.
• BT Phone Boxes – BT are proposing to remove the Kirkton of Skene and Echt public phone boxes again. The members feel that villages should have a public phone facility and these should therefore be retained. Klaus to respond on behalf of ESCC.
• Community Council Networking Event – Woodhill House 28th September 2019. Steve Gibson will register to attend.
• GACCF – usually occurs on first Wednesday of each calendar quarter. Klaus to write to Alison Cumming and enquire about agenda and venue.

AOCB:
Helimed Crisp Packet Recycling Scheme: Steve Gibson proposed that the ESCC promote this scheme to recycle crisp packets in order to provide funds for the Helimed air ambulance service. He volunteered to drop leaflets with the local schools and deliver any crisp packets collected to the Helimed.

Minute of Annual General Meeting 12th June 2019 Lyne of Skee Hall

Present: Fiona Bick (chair), Nick Pilbeam (vice-Chair), John Foulkes (Secretary), Klaus Wahle, Ian MacMaster, Cllr Iris Walker, Cllr Ron McKail, Cllr Alistair McKelvie, Niall McBeath, Steve Gibson.
Apologies: Mary Gray, Brian Poppleton, Grant Duguid, Cllr David Aitchison

Minute of last A.G.M. – No matters arising therefore minute proposed by Nick Pilbeam, seconded by John Foulkes

Election of Members:
John Foulkes and Brian Poppleton stepped down from the Community Council and did not wish to stand for re-election. In accordance with the new Scheme of Establishment for Community Councils, Fiona Bick and Klaus Wahle each came to the end of their three year tenure. Fiona Bick had nominated herself for re-election and was duly re-elected. Steve Gibson and Niall McBeath had also nominated themselves and were duly elected as new members of the Community Council.

Election of Office Bearers:
Fiona Bick as chairperson, Nick Pilbeam as vice chairperson, Grant Duguid as Treasurer. Klaus Wahle expressed a wish to be co-opted onto the Community Council at the next meeting and agreed to be Secretary.

Treasurer’s Report:

Echt & Skene Community Council Accounts 2017-18

2018-19 Accounts

Acceptance of Accounts:
Proposed by Fiona Bick and seconded by John Foulkes. The accounts were unanimously accepted.

Chairman’s Report:
This last year has seen a number of facility improvements taking place in our villages.
We’re grateful to the Council for taking steps last summer to improve the flood relief drain at Carpenter’s Croft in Kirkton of Skene and very much hope this will see an end to the flooding problems experienced by households previously. We’re also grateful to the Council for the new tarmac footpath they installed at Garlogie, which has improved safety and connectivity for pedestrians in the village.
The new bus shelter project here at Lyne of Skene Hall was completed by village residents in July last year and has been providing welcome respite from the weather for children awaiting school transport.
Unfortunately, the project to replace the Echt public convenience with a smaller community-run facility was unable to proceed due to a lack of support from local residents. The existing toilets are now closed. But on the plus side, we were able to allocate the remaining funds previously set aside for it to other community projects. The funds will be used to support new defibrillators at Dunecht Golf Club and Lyne of Skene, trace heating for Garlogie Hall’s water supply and improvements at the Milne Hall in Kirkton of Skene.
On planning policy the Community Council has been active in representing the views of residents and submitted comments on the Aberdeenshire Local Development Plan Main Issues Report consultation in April. We were satisfied that the planning policy team took note of the majority of our concerns expressed last year regarding the bid sites, but we continue to have concerns about other policy aspects of the proposed Plan.
This year sadly we say goodbye to our long-standing Secretary, John Foulkes, and our Treasurer, Brian Poppleton, who have both decided not to stand for re-election. John has served on the ESCC for 33 years and his experience and wisdom will be sorely missed but we wish him and Shirley well as they spend more time away in their campervan visiting family and friends. Brian has served more than 10 years and we will also miss his forthright contributions to our discussions.
However, I’m very pleased to welcome two new members– Steve and Niall, both from Lyne of Skene. There are still vacancies to be filled and if there are others in the community who would like to get involved then we would be pleased to welcome them.

A.O.C.B None

Minute of Meeting 12th June 2019 Lyne of Skene Hall

Present: Fiona Bick (chair), John Foulkes, Nick Pilbeam, Klaus Wahle, Ian MacMaster, Steve Gibson, Niall Macbeath, Cllr Ron McKail, Cllr Iris Walker, Cllr Alistair McKelvie

Apologies: Mary Gray, Grant Duguid, Cllr David Aitchison

Minute of last meeting: Approved.

Police Report: No Police report received since the January meeting. (Post meeting note – a report was received after the meeting and is attached for information.) It was reported by Ron McKail that speed checks were carried out by the police in Lyne of Skene and near Mason Lodge the previous week and 17 speeding tickets were issued.

Other Agenda items:
Skene School Crossing Safety: No progress since last meeting on speed survey or road markings/signage. The Quality Improvement Officer has met with the Head Teacher to look at options to enlarge the school car park but there is limited scope.

Garlogie Dog Fouling: The dog fouling nuisance in the village has ceased following the intervention of the Council dog warden. CLOSED
Forbes Park Landscaping: John followed up tree planting issue with Alan Rae of Kirkwood Homes, who said they would attend to it in the autumn.

Garlogie Cottages Refuse Collection: The residents had received letters from the Waste Department regarding difficulties for bin lorry access due to a parked car. The owner of the car has now been informed of the issue and is parking elsewhere. CLOSED

New Planning Applications:
• APP/2019/1138 Installation of Oil Tank and Fence – Echt Parish Church. No comment.
• APP/2019/1139 Installation of Oil Tank and Fence – Echt Parish Church. No comment.
• APP/2019/1082 Erection of Cattle Court Building – Southbank, Skene (Prior notification approved) No comment.
• APP/2019/0914 Change of use of agricultural land to domestic curtilage and erection of garage – Little Acre, Lyne of Skene. No comment.

Prior Planning Applications:
• APP/2019/0083 Use of Land for Class 5 (General Industrial) and erection of fence – South Fornet, Dunecht AB32 7BX. PENDING
• APP/2018/2226 Change of use from Class 6 (Storage) to Class 5 (General Industrial) – South Fornet, Dunecht, Westhill AB32 7BX PENDING
• APP/2018/2681 Change of Use of Agricultural Buildings to Livery Stable and Formation of Manege (retrospective) – Millbuie, Skene AB32 6YP. PENDING

Treasurer’s Report:
Cash in bank £1133.45
Cash in Hand £2.06

£300 has been donated to the fund for the defibrillator for Lyne of Skene since the last meeting.

Correspondence/Upcoming Events:
Dunecht Housing Development – the ESCC was asked to comment on the developer’s proposed street names – Cowdray Meadows for the affordable houses fronting the main road and Corskie Crescent for the houses behind. The members felt that it was divisive to give the affordable houses a different address and felt that a single street name should be used for all the houses. Corskie Park or Cowdray Circle were suggested alternatives.
Echt Primary School Football Festival is to take place on 22nd June 10-2.30pm
Garioch Area Bus Forum was postponed to 20th June

AOCB:
Littering in Echt – Echt School have advised they do two litter picks each year (usually in March and October). It was noted that the Council have responsibility to ensure roadsides are clear of litter and a request can be logged on the council website.

GACCF – Recycling was the main topic at the June meeting. Paint cannot be left at any Shire Recycling Centre but Aberdeen City Council will take it. Charities can ask for re-usable items to be put aside for them but not members of the public.

Kirkton of Skene Playgroup has asked for a donation to assist them in creating a new outdoor play area. It was agreed to give them £150 subject to confirmation that they are a charity/non-profit organisation.

Lyne of Skene Defibrillator – is nearly fully funded now. The cabinet location is to be agreed with the Council and must be fitted by a Council electrician.

Lyne of Skene Broadband – BT has now installed fibre broadband to a cabinet at the crossroads so speeds up to 60 MBS are now available in the village.

John Foulkes Presentation – John Foulkes was presented with a framed certificate from Aberdeenshire Council to thank him for his 33 years’ service as a Community Councillor for Echt & Skene.

Minute of Meeting 24th April 2019 Garlogie Hall

Present: Fiona Bick (chair), John Foulkes (Secretary), Nick Pilbeam, Klaus Wahle, Grant Duguid, Ian MacMaster, Cllr Ron McKail, Cllr Iris Walker, 1 Echt resident

Apologies: Mary Gray, Brian Poppleton, Cllr Alistair McKelvie, Cllr David Aitchison

Minute of last meeting: Approved.

Police Report: No Police report received since the January meeting.

Community Council Elections 2019: Posters and nomination forms have been received from Aberdeenshire Council. John will distribute these around the villages. Nomination forms will be available from the village shops. Fiona will post details on the website. The nomination period is from 1st-22nd May with a ballot on 29th May 6-9pm at Dunecht Hall if there are more candidates than vacancies. There are now 6 vacancies to fill as Brian Poppleton has tendered his resignation since the last meeting. There are 3 confirmed candidates and 1 potential candidate.

CC Scheme of Establishment Light Touch Review: The Council has asked the CCs to consider whether there are minor changes which could be made to improve the new Scheme. There were no comments to pass back.

Other Agenda items:
Skene School Crossing Safety: The speed survey is still to be done outside the school by Roads department. Cllr Ron McKail has also asked for the safety partnership speed monitoring device to be deployed. The Roads department has agreed to repaint the road markings and add a “Slow” sign on the road once the weather warms up.

Garlogie Footpath: The path has been cleared. CLOSED
Garlogie Dog Fouling: Cllr Ron McKail sent the contact details for the Council Dog Warden, who has provided some very useful advice. The trackway where the dog fouling is taking place is considered public land and offenders can be fined. The Dog Warden has written to the known offender to warn that he will be fined if he continues to allow his dog to foul the path without picking up.

Forbes Park Landscaping: John submitted a complaint to Planning Enforcement about non-compliance with the landscaping planning condition and received an auto-reply. He will follow up with Council.

New Planning Applications:
• None

Prior Planning Applications:
• APP/2019/0120 Alterations and Extension to Dwellinghouse – Millstone House, Greystone Road, Dunecht AB32 7BS. REFUSED.
• APP/2019/0083 Use of Land for Class 5 (General Industrial) and erection of fence – South Fornet, Dunecht AB32 7BX. PENDING
• APP/2018/2226 Change of use from Class 6 (Storage) to Class 5 (General Industrial) – South Fornet, Dunecht, Westhill AB32 7BX PENDING
• APP/2018/2681 Change of Use of Agricultural Buildings to Livery Stable and Formation of Manege (retrospective) – Millbuie, Skene AB32 6YP. PENDING

Treasurer’s Report:
No Treasurer’s Report was available.
Receipts have been submitted for payment for the trace heating for Garlogie Hall mains water supply and for the Dunecht Golf Club defibrillator cabinet. The Milne Hall Committee has also sent payment details for its share of funding.

The defibrillator for Lyne of Skene has been costed at £1371.46 plus electric heating supply. Nick Pilbeam is applying for funds from Garioch Partnership of £750 and will coordinate the payment of the ESCC funds when appropriate. The remaining funds will be raised by the residents.

Correspondence/Upcoming Events:
• Aberdeenshire Local Access Forum vacancies – there were no volunteers for this.
• British Heart Foundation CPR Training – a session is arranged for 10th June 2019 6.45-9.15pm Echt Hall. 17 out of 18 places are taken already.
• Hill of Fare Mountain Bike Race will be taking place again this year on 11th August 2019. Fiona will advise that the public convenience in Echt is now closed and they will have to provide portable toilets.
• Community Council Networking Event 28th September 2019 – noted

AOCB:
Doors Open Days 14-15th September 2019 – Fiona passed the details of this to a contact who’s leading a group trying to start a project to re-open the Garlogie Power Mill. (Post-meeting note: Aberdeenshire Museums Department has given the go-ahead for the Power Mill to be part of the event.)

Community Council Grants – The GAC proposes increasing the Base Grant to all CCs and reducing the per capita allowance, which would benefit the smaller CCs like Echt & Skene. The decision on the grant amounts has been deferred for now.

Littering in Echt – The amount of litter in and around Echt was commented on with most of the litter believed to be dropped from passing vehicles. It was noted that a few volunteers in Lyne of Skene had recently collected about 20 black bags of rubbish from the roadside verges near the village. Fiona will write to the Echt Residents Association and Echt School and ask if they might be interested in having the pupils do a litter pick in Echt – equipment is available to borrow from the Council.

GACCF – Recycling is to be a topic at the next meeting. It was noted that paint is not accepted at Westhill Recycling Centre and that the public is also prohibited from taking away usable items. It was suggested that an area should be allocated for re-usable items to be stored to give time for interested parties to remove them. If they are not removed within, say, 7 days they would then be allowed to go to landfill/recycle.

John Foulkes Presentation – John Foulkes was presented with a tankard and whisky to thank him for his 33 years’ service as a Community Councillor for Echt & Skene.

Future meetings:
12th June 2019 (AGM) Lyne of Skene

Minute of Meeting 13th March 2019 Dunecht Hall

Present: Fiona Bick (chair), John Foulkes (Secretary), Nick Pilbeam, Klaus Wahle, Grant Duguid, Ian MacMaster, Cllr Ron McKail, Alison Cumming, 1 Echt resident, 3 Skene residents

Apologies: Mary Gray, Brian Poppleton, Alan Holmes, Cllr Alistair McKelvie, Cllr David Aitchison

Minute of last meeting: Approved.

Police Report: No Police report received since the last meeting.

Other Agenda items:

Skene School Crossing Safety: The speed survey is still to be done by Roads department ACTION: Cllr McKail to follow up status of speed survey.

Garlogie Footpath: No progress.

Garlogie Dog Fouling: Dog fouling between the hall and the dam continues to be an issue A video of the offence was sent to Dunecht Estates they don’t appear to have followed the matter up. ACTION: John to write to Dunecht Estates

Forbes Park Landscaping: John wrote to Kirkwood homes but has received no reply. John to escalate with complaint to Planning Enforcement.

Proposals for £1190 project funding: Four options are now proposed:

  1. Defibrillator for Lyne of Skene (initial positive response from residents and a meeting is taking place on 27th March) – cost ca. £2000
  2. Trace heating for Garlogie Hall main water supply to prevent winter freezing (£287 for installation)
  3. Milne Hall extension – the hall committee still need ca. £40,000 of additional funding to commence the project
  4. Dunecht Golf club has already bought a defibrillator and is looking for funds to purchase a cabinet for it – cost ca. £350

It was unanimously agreed to divide the money equally between the four projects.

Aberdeenshire LDP Main Issues Report Consultation Process: A discussion of the development bids in the ESCC area took place. Only two sites are considered as possibilities by planning officers – they view GR093 south of the B9119 in Echt as a preference, and GR094 in Dunecht as a reserve site. The Community Council felt that GR092 (to the N of the B9119 and adjacent to the recent Kirkwood Homes development) should be preferred over GR093 since the officers saw little difference in the merits of either, and provision for accessing GR092 is already in place via Forbes Way. The ESCC also felt that a further 50 houses at Dunecht on site GR094 would be very difficult to integrate into this small community. The ESCC is content that all other bid sites should be rejected.

There had been a separate session to discuss the MIR on 6th February and a draft response to the policy proposals has been circulated for comment. ACTION: Comments to be provided on the draft response by 20th March. Fiona to submit response thereafter by 5th April.

GACCF 7th March Feedback: A presentation was made on the Health and Social Care Partnership. The June Forum will feature waste and recycling.

New Planning Applications:

  • APP/2019/0406 Erection of signboard and 9 flagpoles – Land west of Tillybrig, Dunecht – No comment
  • APP/2019/0407 Siting of temporary marketing suite – Land west of Tillybrig, Dunecht – No comment

Prior Planning Applications:

  • APP/2019/0120 Alterations and Extension to Dwellinghouse – Millstone House, Greystone Road, Dunecht AB32 7BS. PENDING. In answer to a question from local residents as to why the ESCC had objected to the application, it was explained that the ESCC did not wish to prevent an extension to the property but objects to the design, which is out of keeping with the traditional vernacular appearance of the converted steading.
  • APP/2019/0083 Use of Land for Class 5 (General Industrial) and erection of fence – South Fornet, Dunecht AB32 7BX. PENDING
  • APP/2018/2226 Change of use from Class 6 (Storage) to Class 5 (General Industrial) – South Fornet, Dunecht, Westhill AB32 7BX PENDING
  • APP/2018/2430 – Full planning permission for erection of 33 houses and associated infrastructure, landscaping and open space – Land to the west of Tillybrig, Dunecht, Westhill. APPROVED by GAC on 5th February despite representations against grant
  • APP/2018/2681 Change of Use of Agricultural Buildings to Livery Stable and Formation of Manege (retrospective) – Millbuie, Skene AB32 6YP. PENDING

Treasurer’s Report:

Cash in bank: £2408.97 Cash in hand: £7.32

The financial year-end will be 31st March 2019 and the treasurer requested all invoices/receipts be passed to him before then.

The ESCC public liability insurance is due for renewal shortly. Aberdeenshire Council is still discussing the process for payment with Moray Council and the insurers and will advise the outcome to CCs in Aberdeenshire once agreed.

Community Council Elections 2019:

3 Community Councillors come to end of their 3-year term this year – John Foulkes advised he would not be standing for re-election but Fiona Bick and Klaus Wahle will stand for re-election. In addition there are currently 3 other vacancies to be filled.

ACTION: John to make provisional booking of Dunecht Hall for potential ballot at end May.

Correspondence/Upcoming Events:

Doors Open Days 14-15th September 2019 – there were no suggestions for buildings in ESCC area which could be offered up for this event

AOCB:

Garlogie Broadband: It was noted that despite the interest shown by Andrew Bowie MP in the lack of broadband in Garlogie, it seems there is no chance of fibre being installed in the short to medium term and the only options for residents are wireless broadband from CaleyCom or satellite.

Future meetings:

24th April 2019                   Garlogie

12th June 2019 (AGM)    Lyne of Skene

 

 

 

Minute of Meeting 31st January Echt Hall

Present: Fiona Bick (chair), John Foulkes (Secretary), Brian Poppleton, Klaus Wahle, Grant Duguid, Ian MacMaster, Cllr Iris Walker, Cllr Ron McKail, PC Steve Middleton, PC James Stewart, 4 Echt residents, 3 Dunecht residents

 Apologies: Mary Gray, Nick Pilbeam, Cllr Alistair McKelvie, Cllr David Aitchison

Minute of last meeting: Approved with amended apologies list.

Police Report: PC Steve Middleton gave a report for the last six weeks. There were 4 road traffic offences and no other crimes reported.

Other Agenda items:

Skene School Crossing Safety: The speed survey is still to be done by Roads department. Brian Poppleton suggested a 30mph speed limit be implemented from the A944 Smithy crossroads to past the school. Cllr Walker explained the road did not meet the criteria for 30mph. A larger school car park with a dedicated drop-off point behind the school might remove the need for the school patrol crossing. Alternatively, earlier warnings to drivers of the upcoming 20mph limit might be effective as they are expected to reduce speed from 60mph to just 20mph. ACTION: Cllr Walker to follow up mitigation options.

Garlogie Footpath: The remaining section of old pathway west of the pub still needs to be cleared of mud and debris. Iris W has a job logged with Roads but it hasn’t been actioned yet.

Proposed Dunecht Conservation Area: Cheryl Roberts, Environmental Planner from Aberdeenshire Council, has submitted an item for publication in the next issue of the Westhill Bulletin. The formal consultation would commence in January 2020.

Garlogie Dog Fouling: Dog fouling between the hall and the dam is an issue with one particular resident refusing to pick up his dog’s mess. ACTION: The police will call on the individual concerned.

Proposals for £1190 project funding: Three options are proposed:

  1. Defibrillator for Lyne of Skene (dependent on volunteers coming forward to train in its use)
  2. Trace heating for Garlogie Hall main water supply to prevent winter freezing (John F to obtain quote for installation)
  3. Milne Hall extension – the hall committee still need ca. £40,000 of additional funding to commence the project

A 4th proposal to contribute towards the sculpture planned to celebrate Westhill’s 50th Anniversary was discounted as it is not in the ESCC area and it was felt that Westhill & Elrick CC are capable of providing significant funds.

The matter will be considered again at the next meeting when more information is available on options 1 and 2.

Aberdeenshire LDP Main Issues Report Consultation Process: The Main Issues Report was published on 14th January and the consultation closes on 8th April. There is a public drop-in session at Westhill Holiday Inn on 21st February 12.30-7pm by the Planning Policy team where the public will have an opportunity to discuss the MIR with the planners. It was agreed to hold a separate meeting to discuss the ESCC response on Wednesday 6th February and to bring the draft response back to the next full ESCC meeting on 13th March.

New Planning Applications:

  • APP/2019/0120 Alterations and Extension to Dwellinghouse – Millstone House, Greystone Road, Dunecht AB32 7BS. Objection – the design of the proposed first floor extension was felt to be unsympathetic to the traditional appearance of the converted steading building.
  • APP/2019/0083 Use of Land for Class 5 (General Industrial) and erection of fence – South Fornet, Dunecht AB32 7BX. Objection –as for APP/2018/2226, objection regarding unsuitability of access roads for additional traffic and with additional concerns expressed with respect to disturbance to the residents of the adjacent cottages.
  • APP/2018/2976 Installation of 12 UPVC Windows – The Neuk, The Terrace, Echt, AB32 6UL. No comment – it was observed that modern UPVC windows can be almost indistinguishable from painted wooden windows.

Prior Planning Applications:

  • APP/2018/2226 Change of use from Class 6 (Storage) to Class 5 (General Industrial) – South Fornet, Dunecht, Westhill AB32 7BX PENDING
  • APP/2018/2430 – Full planning permission for erection of 33 houses and associated infrastructure, landscaping and open space – Land to the west of Tillybrig, Dunecht, Westhill. PENDING – This application is on the GAC agenda for 5th February with a Planning Department recommendation to grant. The 3 Dunecht residents at the meeting expressed continued concern regarding their ongoing correspondence with SEPA about the inadequacy of the developer’s flood assessment. The Community Council advised submitting a Request to Speak so that they can articulate their concerns to the GAC.
  • APP/2018/2681 Change of Use of Agricultural Buildings to Livery Stable and Formation of Manege (retrospective) – Millbuie, Skene AB32 6YP. PENDING

Treasurer’s Report:

Cash in bank: £2408.97 Cash in hand: £7.32

Correspondence/Upcoming Events:

Public Consultation on Affordable Housing Proposal in Elrick – Tesco Superstore 2-7pm 6th February

YOYP Event Invitation at Meldrum Academy 6-9pm 22nd February – there were no volunteers to attend

AOCB:

Echt Forbes Park Development Landscaping Conditions – it was noted the ESCC hasn’t yet received a response to the complaint submitted regarding non-compliance. ACTION: John to follow up

Future meetings:

13th March 2019                Dunecht

24th April 2019                   Garlogie

12th June 2019 (AGM)    Lyne of Skene

 

 

Minute of Meeting 12th December 2018 Lyne of Skene

Present: Fiona Bick (chair), John Foulkes (Secretary), Brian Poppleton, Klaus Wahle, Grant Duguid, Ian MacMaster, Cllr Alistair McKelvie, George Glennie, Wendy Duncan, Bert McIntosh, Cara Graham, PC Steve Middleton, PC James Stewart

Apologies: Mary Gray, Nick Pilbeam, Cllr Iris Walker, Cllr Ron McKail, Cllr David Aitchison

Minute of last meeting: Approved

Police Report: PC Steve Middleton gave a report for the past two months. There were 2 road traffic offences and no other crimes reported. PC Middleton is retiring soon and PC Stewart will then take over the role of community policing in Garioch.

Cara Graham, a Skene School parent, raised concerns about road safety outside the school at school drop-off and pick-up times. The temporary 20mph speed limit is frequently being ignored by drivers and the crossing patrol had reported an HGV driver to Police for threatening behaviour. It was discussed whether there need to be more obvious road markings/signage to indicate the 20 mph limit to traffic. PC Middleton has requested a speed survey be done by Roads department outside the school. ACTION: Cllr McKelvie is to follow up possible interventions with Roads Department.

Other Agenda items:

Echt Public Convenience: Fiona attended the Echt Hall Committee meeting on 31st October. The hall committee isn’t willing to take on management of the replacement public convenience and, in the absence of any other group of residents taking this on, the Community Council agreed that the project regrettably could not go forward. Bert McIntosh generously offered to cancel the MPH invoice for the purchase of the second-hand portaloo, which was originally to have been used as the replacement toilet and which has been stored in the MPH yard since March.

The Council plans to demolish the existing public convenience building before the end of the financial year but will consider proposals from the community about what to do with the site after demolition. The Echt residents present at the meeting felt that a rose garden would be appropriate.

A discussion then took place on what to do with the funding already received from the GAC. It was agreed that the balance of funds left after paying the planning application costs (£1190.17) should be spent on another project within the Community Council area. ACTION: Proposals will be brought to the next meeting for consideration.

Garlogie Footpath: The remaining section of old pathway west of the pub still needs to be cleared of mud and debris. Iris W was to have contacted Roads. No update.

Proposed Dunecht Conservation Area: Cheryl Roberts, Environmental Planner from Aberdeenshire Council, is seeking feedback following the last ESCC meeting. The Community Council agreed to support the proposal in principle. ACTION: Fiona to respond accordingly.

A96 Inverurie to Huntly CC Meeting 13th November Feedback: Fiona attended the meeting at which the short-listed routes were presented. The process has rejected the option of following the existing Inverurie by-pass because it would involve demolishing around 40 properties, which the A96 team are instructed by Scottish government to avoid. Concerns were raised at the meeting that the route options to the north and south of Inverurie would cost more and result in significant loss of farmland as well as exposing more rural areas to traffic noise.

GACCF Forum 14th November – Strategic Development Plan MIR Feedback: No-one from ESCC attended this meeting.

GACCF Meeting 5th December: John Foulkes attended the meeting. Community Action Plans were discussed. John pointed out that Echt & Skene CC had conducted a similar community planning exercise around 20 years ago but none of the facilities which the community expressed a wish for at the time had materialised. It was suggested that the traffic impact of the AWPR opening be proposed for the agenda in March or June. ACTION: John to pass on suggested topic to Alison Cumming.

New Planning Applications:

  • APP/2018/2681 Change of Use of Agricultural Buildings to Livery Stable and Formation of Manege (retrospective) – Millbuie, Skene AB32 6YP. Objection with respect to intrusive lighting over the manege from the prominent hilltop location

Prior Planning Applications:

  • APP/2018/2226 Change of use from Class 6 (Storage) to Class 5 (General Industrial) – South Fornet, Dunecht, Westhill AB32 7BX PENDING
  • APP/2018/2430 – Full planning permission for erection of 33 houses and associated infrastructure, landscaping and open space – Land to the west of Tillybrig, Dunecht, Westhill PENDING
  • APP/2018/2508 Alteration and extension to agricultural building – Millbuie, Skene, Westhill AB32 6YP APPROVED

Treasurer’s Report:

Cash in bank: £2458.97 Cash in hand: £17.32

Correspondence/Upcoming Events:

  • Community Council Induction Training in Planning Matters 30th January 7pm at Gordon House. A number of Community Councillors expressed an intention to attend. It was agreed to move to move the next ESCC meeting to 31st January to avoid a clash of dates.

AOCB:

Cllr McKelvie informed the meeting about a recent meeting in Westhill on Mental Health and Wellbeing, and his recent visit to the NHS Equipment Store in Inverurie, which contains a vast array of equipment including wheelchairs, walking sticks, frames, aids for the blind, deaf, disabled, alarms, telephony, & technical materials. This equipment is available to support Independent Living whether on a permanent or temporary basis. The equipment can be sourced via GPs, Practice Nurses, Physio or District nurse. It is also possible for temporary needs to contact the Store directly for collection of a select number of items.

Minute of meeting 30th October 2018

Present: Fiona Bick (chair), Nick Pilbeam (vice-Chair), John Foulkes (Secretary), Mary Gray, Grant Duguid, Ian MacMaster, 6 Dunecht residents, 3 Echt residents, Cheryl Roberts (Aberdeenshire Council Environmental Planner), Cllr Iris Walker

 Apologies: Klaus Wahle, Brian Poppleton

Minute of last meeting: Approved

Police Report: None received. It is now 5 months since we received a police report or had police attend an ESCC meeting.

Other Agenda items:

Echt Public Convenience: Fiona to attend the Echt Hall Committee AGM on 31 October to discuss management of the new toilet.

Milne Hall Signs: Signs have now been erected. CLOSED

Garlogie Footpath: The remaining section of old pathway west of the pub still needs to be cleared of mud and debris. Iris W was to have contacted Roads.

Proposed Dunecht Conservation Area: Cheryl Roberts, Environmental Planner from Aberdeenshire Council, attended the meeting to explain why Dunecht was being considered for Conservation Area status, what the designation would mean in practical terms and how it would affect local residents. It was explained that the Conservation Area would not necessarily cover the whole village and would be subject to an 8 week consultation period. It was suggested that Skene Heritage Society would have an interest and that the Westhill Bullletin would be a good place to advertise a drop-in session to gauge local opinion more widely.

 Treasurer’s Report:

Cash in bank: £2466.67 Cash in hand: £17.32

New Planning Applications:

  • APP/2018/2405 Demolition of outbuildings and erection of 3 houses with detached garages – Barnton Farm, Echt – No comment.
  • APP/2018/2226 Change of use from Class 6 (Storage) to Class 5 (General Industrial) – South Fornet, Dunecht, Westhill AB32 7BX – Objection.
  • APP/2018/2430 – Full planning permission for erection of 33 houses and associated infrastructure, landscaping and open space – Land to the west of Tillybrig, Dunecht, Westhill – Objection. The residents of Dunecht gave a presentation to explain the concerns of Tillybrig householders about the impact on flood risk for their properties as a result of the proposed development.
  • APP/2018/2508 Alteration and extension to agricultural building – Millbuie, Skene, Westhill AB32 6YP – Objection. This proposed development appears to be to support the unauthorised horse livery business operating at the farm rather than agricultural activity. Aberdeenshire Council served an enforcement notice in January 2018 requiring a planning application to be submitted in respect of the livery and no action has been taken to follow up.

Correspondence/Upcoming Events:

  • Aberdeen City & Shire Proposed Strategic Development Plan Consultation – closes 17th December. Comments to be sent to Fiona, who will collate a response
  • A96 Inverurie to Huntly Dualling Community Council Forum 2-3.30pm 13th Nov at Garioch Centre, Inverurie. The short-listed options do not include the Bennachie route but all involve substantial detours around Inverurie since the contractors are instructed to avoid demolition. Fiona will attend.
  • Garioch Area Community Council Forum Meeting – early December. A GACCF meeting was held in September but notice of this meeting wasn’t received by ESCC members. Iris Walker advised there was a presentation on Planning Enforcement – she will arrange for a copy to be forwarded.

AOCB:

  • Kirkwood Homes Echt Phase 2 Development – an Echt resident raised a concern regarding potential non-compliance with the landscaping conditions of the planning permission. The ESCC will submit a complaint.
  • Barmekin Park – concerns have been raised regarding inappropriate use of the car parking area for storage/disposal of waste materials. Council waste team has been advised.

Future meetings:

12th December 2018        Lyne of Skene

30th January 2019             Echt

13th March 2019                Dunecht

24th April 2019                   Garlogie

12th June 2019 (AGM)    Lyne of Skene

 

 

 

Minute of meeting held 19th September in Garlogie Hall

Present: Fiona Bick (chair), Nick Pilbeam (vice-Chair), John Foulkes (Secretary), Brian Poppleton (Treasurer), Klaus Wahle, Grant Duguid, Ian MacMaster, Cllr Iris Walker, Cllr Ron McKail.

 Apologies: Cllr Alistair McKelvie, Cllr David Aitchison, Mary Gray

Minute of last meeting: Approved

Police Report: None received. Fiona to follow up with new Westhill sergeant.

Other Agenda items:

Echt Public Convenience: Fiona has spoken with members of the Echt Hall Committee who will discuss whether they might take on management of the new toilet at their next meeting. It appears uncertain as to whether there are now sufficient funds available to build the new toilet.

Milne Hall Signs: Signs not yet in place.

Garlogie Footpath: Roads Department were able to re-allocate funds to install a new pavement with kerbing between the Garlogie Inn and the houses to the east. The Community Council expressed their thanks to Iris Walker for obtaining this outcome with the Roads Department. The remaining section of pathway west of the pub still needs to be cleared of mud and debris though.

Kirkton of Skene Flood Mitigation Meeting: The Council has now cleared the flood relief ditch in the field to the north of Carpenter’s Croft and connected it to the Beechy Burn. Closed

Treasurer’s Report:

£107.69 spent on concrete for the installation of the Lyne of Skene bus shelter.

Cash in bank: £2521.67 Cash in hand: £17.42

New Planning Applications:

  • APP/2018/2110 Condition 1 (a) Siting, Design, Layout, External Appearance, Finishing Materials, Bin Uplift, Driveway, Vehicle Parking and Turning Area; (b) Means of Access including Visibility Splays and Vehicle Layby at Junction; (c) Landscaping Scheme; (d) Levels Survey and Cross Sections; (e) Foul and Surface Water Disposal) of Planning Permission in Principle Reference APP/2018/0259 Erection of Dwellinghouse – Site east of Newton Smiddy, Dunecht – The site ground level has been reduced so that only the roof of the new 1½ storey house will be visible from the B9126. No objection.
  • APP/2018/1838 Erection of workshop and store (Class 5 General industrial) – Gas Compressor Station, Echt AB32 6US – No objection

Correspondence/Upcoming Events:

  • Aberdeenshire Waste Strategy Consultation – closes 28th September. Ron advised that the GAC had voted to support option 4 of the options proposed by the Waste Management Team.
  • Stagecoach AWPR Bus Routes Consultation – closes 21st September
  • Scotland Policy Conferences Keynote Seminar Implementing planning reform – funding, coordination and further steps for policy 23rd October 2018 in Edinburgh . Fiona might be able to attend.

AOCB:

  • A number of people on the ESCC distribution lists have reported problems receiving emails. Nick advised some email providers have filters which may be causing them to discard the emails so he will change the list set-up to avoid this happening in future.
  • Grant suggested that the ESCC should have a greater social media presence beyond the website. Fiona will investigate setting up a Facebook page.
  • Problems reported again in being able to contact the right people in the Council when issues arise – the helpline service appears to be under-resourced with long waiting times. The Councillors present suggested they were willing to act as a conduit to make direct contact.
  • Echt Nursery made a request for assistance from a CSCS registered builder to complete their outdoor play area project. It was suggested they contact the Echt PTA or Kirkwood Homes.
  • Iris advised that the proposed new Aberdeen City and Shire Strategic Development Plan has been published and will be discussed at the forthcoming full Aberdeenshire Council meeting.

Future meetings:

30th October 2018          Milne Hall, Kirkton of Skene

12th December 2018      Lyne of Skene

30th January 2019           Echt

13th March 2019             Dunecht

24th April 2019                Garlogie

12th June 2019 (AGM)    Lyne of Skene

 

 

 

Minute of Meeting 8th August 2018 Dunecht Hall

Present: Fiona Bick (chair), Nick Pilbeam (vice-Chair), Brian Poppleton (Treasurer), Klaus Wahle, Grant Duguid, Ian MacMaster, Cllr Iris Walker, Cllr Ron McKail.

 Apologies: Cllr Alistair McKelvie, Cllr David Aitchison, John Foulkes

Minute of last meeting: Approved

Police Report: None received. Iris Walker advised that Westhill has a new sergeant in place and will forward a contact email address for the ESCC distribution list.

Other Agenda items:

Echt Public Convenience: Fiona attended a site meeting with Bert McIntosh and Tom Buchan from the Council in early July. Bert has been invited to resubmit his quote for demolition of the existing toilet by the end of August. Fiona has researched the position regarding ongoing running costs for the replacement toilet. A public convenience within a public park is not liable for business rates and 100% relief for water/sewerage charges can be obtained if the customer is a registered charity. It was agreed that it would be best if the new PC were managed by a group from Echt village rather than the ESCC, none of whom currently reside within Echt. Fiona will explore options for this.

Lyne of Skene bus shelter: The shelter was successfully erected by a group of 5 local residents in July. The ESCC will reimburse the costs of cement, etc. Closed.

Milne Hall Signs: Roads Department has agreed to put up the signs. Ron to chase.

Garlogie Footpath: Parts of the path have been washed away by water thrown up by passing traffic during heavy rain. Roads Department are to produce costings for repair and improvements including the provision of kerbing but it is unlikely the Council will find a budget to cover the costs.

Kirkton of Skene Flood Mitigation Meeting: The Council is to open up a connection of the flood relief ditch in the field to the north of Carpenter’s Croft to the Beechy Burn and to use soil from the ditch to stop up the dry stone wall to try and prevent water flowing through the gardens.

Treasurer’s Report:

The annual grant of £626.22 has been received from the Council. £1360 is held for the new Echt public convenience.

Cash in bank: £2629.36 Cash in hand: £17.32

Correspondence/Upcoming Events:

  • Community Councillor Induction Event 22nd August 7pm Gordon House – Grant may attend
  • Community Council Networking Event Saturday 15th September at Woodhill House. Topics include Car Parking, Roads Development, Waste Recycling

AOCB:

  • Klaus Wahle attended the AWPR briefing for CCs in June. No firm date has yet been declared for completion and opening. The River Don crossing is the critical unfinished component with the rest of the road largely ready.

Future meetings:

19th September 2018      Garlogie

31st October 2018             Kirkton of Skene

12th December 2018        Lyne of Skene

30th January 2019             Echt

13th March 2019                Dunecht

24th April 2019                   Garlogie

12th June 2019 (AGM)    Lyne of Skene